Calloway County Sheriff’s Department and members of the Fire-Rescue Squad were dispatched to H&S Truck Service on Old Shiloh Road at 11:20 a.m. after a call was received of a possible location at that address.
According to the Murray Ledger and Times, Sheriff’s Lt. Richard Steen said he discovered what appeared to be an accidental fire.
Steen said Jaime Kennedy, a patron of the business, had arrived and discovered the fire and tried to extinguish it. Kennedy discovered the victim, Tabers, 70, and called 911.
Firefighters arrived afterward to extinguish the blaze. There were no indications of an explosion, according to Steen, and the building sustained only minor damage.
Calloway County Coroner Mike Garland said that preliminary investigations indicate that Taber ignited his clothing on fire while using a torch to cut metal.
Read more about Gerald Tabers in The Cadiz Record.