Marcus Gresham, 25, had been doing routine cleaning and maintenance work on an anhydrous tank on Monday morning when he pulled out the plug and the gas, which can be lethal, hit his face and eyes, causing burns, Seven Springs Farm Co-owner Mike Oliver said last week, and he added that the accident was caused by a faulty valve or pressure gauge.
Gresham came back to work on Monday, March 30, and is doing fine, with no complications, said Oliver.
Others at the scene knew how to treat Gresham’s burns, thanks to an anhydrous ammonia safety training class that Seven Springs Farm workers took in January, Oliver said earlier, and he also said the training was very important, since the workers applied water to his face and knew what other steps to take.
The other workers called Trigg County Hospital after applying water to Gresham’s face, Oliver has said.
Anhydrous ammonia is attracted to water, so applying water to his face drew the anhydrous away and possibly saved his eyes, said Tim Cook of the Princeton Fire Department and a member of the state fire rescue squad. Cook helped work the training class.
Seven Springs Farms workers attended a training seminar at their farm by PFD members, in late January on how to treat several types of burns, Oliver said. Cook said the PFD members working the seminar are also with state fire rescue squad.
Aside from anhydrous ammonia safety, farm workers were also instructed in propane safety, grain bin safety and safety around augers for a half day, said Cook, who added that next year the seminar will be held for an entire day.
Ammonia contributes significantly to the nutritional needs of terrestrial organisms by serving as a precursor to foodstuffs and fertilizers. Anhydrous ammonia is a type of ammonia commonly used on farms that lacks any water content.
7 Springs Farms, located in Wallonia in the northeastern part of the county, is also owned by Joe, Todd and Kadonna Nichols.