Board member Paul Fourshee said that the museum had once talked about working with the City of Cadiz about applying for a grant to get a ramp for wheelchairs and an elevator to the basement. He said that the application never occurred because there was another entity in the county competing for the same “pot of money.” He said that Mayor Lyn Bailey had informed him recently that if the museum was still interested, now would be a good time to apply for the grant, which they could do through the city.
Fourshee said the museum had decided the last time that would apply for $386,000, but said it would probably better suit them to seek $400,000 because of increased cost since the last discussion. Fourshee said the museum had also said previously that they would be willing to match 15 percent of the total cost, which would be $60,000 in this case. He said that in-kind donations could count toward the match, and also said that if they were awarded the grant, they could seek contributions from the community to meet the match. Fourshee then made a motion to set aside $12,000 of the museum’s money to eventually go toward the match and Martha Davis seconded the motion. The board voted unanimously to so as well.
Board member Portia Ezell said that she and the others who originally sought a performing arts grant had decided to hold a fundraiser on Sept. 29 for next year’s show. The event will be called “Dining With the Dearly Departed,” and will take place in East End Cemetery. Several volunteers will dress up and will act as legendary Cadiz residents who are buried there. Davis said that they might have a fiddle player on hand to also accompany the actors by playing music familiar to the time period in which each person lived. Ezell said each meal served at the cemetery would cost $15.
For the rest of this story, read this week's Cadiz Record.