At their Wednesday, April 8, appearance, held at the Renaissance Center, Commonwealth’s Attorney G.L. Ovey requested that Judge C.A. “Woody” Woodall to continue the cases until June so that he would have enough time to meet with the five attorney’s representing the suspects.
Christopher A. Futrell, 19, of 2980 South Road, and Marcus Mayes, 20, of 75 Cerulean Road, Nicholas King, 19, of 857 Hurricane Road, Devon Morris, 19, of 1200 Julian Road in Gracey and Michael Chase Oakley, of 3842 Rockcastle Road were all indicted in January, according to court records.
Ovey had previously asked for a court date in May, but King’s attorney had a scheduling conflict with another trial and requested that King’s trial be moved to June, and after discussion, it was agreed by all the attorneys that all the cases should be heard in June.
Futrell, King, Morris and Oakley are each charged with rape in first degree and sodomy in the first degree. Futrell, King, Morris and Oakley are accused in the indictments of having sexual intercourse and deviant sexual intercourse with someone who was allegedly incapable of consent because she was physically helpless.
Mayes is charged with rape in first degree, and has been accused of having sexual intercourse with the girl. Charges against all five men are listed as class B felonies, court records indicated.
“This is a serious case from both sides,” said Ovey. “We will take all the time required to successfully assure justice is accomplished.”
Ovey told the Cadiz Record that his office wants to try all five suspects at once, and can’t accomplish that in the Renaissance Center, so they will have to wait until the Trigg County Justice Center is completed. Officials have said the center will be completed in June.
The charges against two other adult males in the case of the reported rape are still under investigation, to Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Carrie Wiggins said back in February.