Included in the governor’s initiative is the use of contractors to remove debris from public roadsides, with the exception of counties and cities that are carrying out their own debris removal with local government workers or private contractors, according to a press release by Miranda Thacker of the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet’s Office of Public Affairs.
The Transportation Cabinet is paying the invoices of participating contractors, but anticipates being reimbursed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency for 75 percent of the cost and by local governments for 13 percent of the cost, although the amount of debris will determine the eventual cost, which FEMA is still assessing, Thacker said.
Trigg County Judge Executive Stan Humphries said he was grateful for the opportunity to have so much of the county’s cleanup expenses reimbursed, stating that it would help “put the pieces back together.”
However, Humphries said last week he was told the county would be fully reimbursed, and was told on Monday, Feb. 9, that 100 percent reimbursement would not be possible.
“The costs associated with it (the ice storm) are going to be high,” Humphries said, adding that while it wasn’t certain where the money would come from, it might possibly come from the county’s transportation budget.
(For the rest of the story, check out this week's edition of the Cadiz Record.)