Redd also said he was to meet with Apache Heights resident Chappell Wilson this week to further discuss the on-going negotiations.
With the lack of further news for Redd to share with the council on the suit, they adjourned without going into executive session to discuss the litigation for the first time in months.
“I hate that I haven’t been able to get this resolved,” Redd said after the meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 7.
When the “tentative oral agreement” was announced in September, Redd said afterwards that the council was well aware of their unenviable record in court. Though that agreement has failed to become more than tentative, Redd said the council is still not eager to return to a courtroom.
“They’d rather settle the cases than be in court,” he said.
Redd will take over William McCaslin’s term as District Judge for the 56th District effective later this month, a term which expires in December. Redd has already announced his campaign for a full four-year term on the bench, elections for which will be held in November.
Mayor Lyn Bailey said no discussions had been held regarding Redd’s replacement. He then ribbed Redd, wondering if he should keep the post open should things not go his way in November.
In other action, the council passed a resolution supporting a downtown location for the new justice center to be read at the next night’s public hearing.
Councilmember Susan Bryant made the motion to draft a resolution, saying she’d be unable to attend Wednesday’s public hearing. Councilmember Donna McNichols presented the resolution at the public hearing Wednesday, who added that the council would support whatever decision the Project Development Board made regarding location.
In discussions leading to the vote on the resolution, Renaissance on Main Director Cindy Sholar said the Renaissance Board was supporting the demolition of the current courthouse only in that they “want to offer a sacrificial lamb.”
“The county is eventually going to turn it down, anyways,” she said, adding that it is already shifting off its foundation. She said the Renaissance Board would not like to see any other buildings demolished.
For the rest of this story, please see this week's edition of The Cadiz Record.