Julie Coleman has lost a family companion that has been in her household for two years, an eight-pound, male white poodle named Moose. A toxicology report prepared by veterinarian Dr. Sam Cofield lists the cause of death as poisoning by antifreeze. Coleman believes the poisoning to be deliberate.
Coleman described Moose as a purebred white poodle, though not AKC registered. “He was my companion,” she said.
“My dog never got out of the back yard, and I have a fenced in yard,” said Coleman, who makes her home on Anna Street. “He was only in the front yard for limited amounts of time and on a leash. Someone had to come up to the back fence and feed him the antifreeze.”
Coleman discounted the possibility of an accidental discharge and runoff poisoning Moose due to the location of her home at the top of the hill and separation between her house and the nearest neighbor’s. She added that she had no enemies and knew of no suspects that would kill her pet.
Read more about the case, including Chief Alexander's tips to protect pets in your Cadiz Record.