Superintendent Tim McGinnis said that when he arrived at his office Monday morning, he found an e-mail sent to him by Food Services Director Paula Maddox early that morning.
“Just wanted to let you know where we stand on the beef that made the news this weekend,” Maddox wrote. “We have none of the recalled beef in house. We did receive an e-mail memo on January 31 notifying us that some beef had been out on administrative hold but it was in raw 40 lb. boxes, which we do not use. We received another alert from a company called JTM that processes out commodity ground beef into the crumbles and patties that we use. They sent us a printout of all code and lot numbers of any beef they had processed that that might have been suspect. I have taken precaution to check every case in our freezer and none of the case or lot numbers match up.”
A press release from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture said Monday that school districts across the state had been notified that 143 million pounds of fresh and frozen beef products from the Hallmark/Westland Meat Packing Company of Chino, Calif., had been recalled.
To read the complete story of the beef recall, see this week's Cadiz Record.