Audra Hodges, director of public relations and marketing for the hospital, said that although there have been some changes and improvements made, the basic goal of the event, to encourage people to lose weight and be healthy, remains the same.
For example, Conger will host weight loss classes at the hospital, and now weight loss will be reported on the social networking website Facebook, as opposed to unofficial weigh-ins at the hospital, Hodges said.
The program will last for 12 weeks and the final weigh-in will be on April 26, and people will select their own teams of 3–6 people, including a team captain, said Hodges, adding that team captains are encouraged to report their teams’ weight loss via the local Biggest Loser Facebook group.
“Communication was a big problem last year,” Hodges said. “And we already have a pretty good following on Facebook.”
The ice storm delayed the first weigh-in last year, but Monday’s weigh-in was on schedule despite the weekend’s heavy snows, said Hodges.
“I think for a first year campaign, it was very successful,” Hodges said. “We had a tremendous amount show up for the initial weigh-in, and of course like any weight loss program, it kind of tapered off in the end.”
“We had some folks experience significant weight loss, though, so I call that a success,” added Hodges.
Last year, 191 people signed up for the Biggest Loser, said Jody Brewer, administrative assistant at the hospital. She called last year’s event “very successful,” and said she expected this year’s event to be successful as well.
“We had people lose a significant amount of weight,” said Brewer.