Trigg wins three straight after tie with Fort Campbell
by Justin McGill, Executive Editor --
Aug 25, 2010 | 0 0 comments | 7 7 recommendations | email to a friend | print
This season began in a similar fashion to the last for the Trigg County Wildcat soccer team – a tie with Fort Campbell and several games without a loss.

Trigg followed last Tuesday’s season-opening 3-3 tie against the Falcons by winning three games Friday and Saturday in the Eagles Invitational in Mayfield – 4-1 over Paducah Tilghman, 5-1 over Franklin-Simpson and 4-3 over host Graves County.

Against Tilghman, Jared Stallons netted a pair of goals, while Blaine Alexander and Aaron Yielding each had one. Alexander, Clark Adams and Joel Ben Thomas each had an assist. Kevin Latham and Corbin Estes combined in goal for Trigg.

Stallons had a hat trick in the win over Graves, and Alexander added a goal. Against Franklin-Simpson, Alexander scored twice, and Trigg also had goals from Romaine Cunningham, Brien Dossett and Ben Wigand.

All of that came after a back-and-forth contest against Fort Campbell, during which Trigg twice had a one-goal advantage.

In the 18th minute, Alexander moved the ball toward the sideline in the offensive zone, sent a pass toward the goal that bounced in front of the Falcon goalkeeper and to Stallons, who headed the ball in the net.

Fort Campbell tied the score 10 minutes later and took the lead eight minutes into the second half.

“I thought we lost our intensity in the first half and let them get back in the game,” Nichols said. “The second half went back and forth.”

In the 55th minute, Thomas sent a long free kick toward the goalkeeper, who mishandled the ball. Wigand was there to put the ball in the net. About two minutes later, Yielding took another long free kick and sent a laser into the top left corner of the net.

The Falcons responded and generated several scoring chances, finally tying the score with less than four minutes to go.

“It’s better than a loss, but you hate to tie when you give up the lead late,” Nichols said. “You come away deflated, and if you come back to tie you feel better, and I think we saw that from Fort Campbell. We played well to get the lead and just didn’t hang on. Two of their three goals were just us not clearing it out of the back. They did a good job of putting [Latham] under a lot of pressure on their corner kicks. He was strong in net all night.”

“I thought we had the best chances, but we didn’t put them away,” Nichols said. “They’re a good team. We knew it would be tough coming in, and it was.”

“I feel like last year, we probably lose that game,” Nichols said. “Last year, when we lost our intensity we never got it back. This year, hopefully, we’re a team that can bounce back and pick ourselves up. We did it twice in this game, so we can feel good about that. The things we did wrong were mental lapses, stupid plays that we can correct.”

“We got a little disjointed when we subbed,” Nichols said. “Maybe those guys didn’t mesh quite as well as they will later in the season. We’ve been integrating them for the last few weeks, and that will continue.”

Trigg was set to host Dawson Springs on Tuesday (results unavailable at press time) before two consecutive 4th District contest – Thursday against Caldwell County and next Tuesday at Lyon County.
Click for Cadiz, Kentucky Forecast
Sponsored By:
Beaus Blog Logo
Read Beau's Daily Analysis