Along those opening lines, how can it be this close to Christmas? Since I know Santa will be very busy this year, I thought I would give him at least a couple of weeks to work on my list. So here you go Santa.
1. This request is a serious one Mr. Claus. You already know that Cadiz Baptist Church is searching for a pastor. My first wish is that our church learns God’s will as to who our pastor is supposed to be. Then I pray that we will be directed to him.
2. I wish for peace and comfort for all those that have lost loved ones this past year.
3. Santa, make sure you realize that I need this wish on Christmas Eve. I wish to hear Bob Higbee sing O Holy Night at our Christmas Eve service.
4. Another singing request if you don’t mind. I have just got to hear Glynn Whobrey sing Christmas In Heaven at the same Christmas Eve service mentioned above. His singing and guitar playing on that song stirs me long no other song at Christmas time. I fight back tears each year as I think of my late father Gene Wright. I hope it doesn’t make me less of a man to confess that the tears always win.
5. I wish that every family would open the Bible and read the Christmas story in Luke Chapter 2 verses 1-20 on Christmas Eve. I pledge to do this with my own.
6. I wish for a solution to our volunteer fire department dilemma in our county. Please put the perfect solution in writing and stick it in my stocking.
7. I wish for a indoor recreational facility for all the citizens of Trigg County that could be used 12 months out of the year. Please include multiple multi-sport courts so that we can have church basketball and volleyball leagues.
8. I wish for a National Title for Coach John Calipari and the UK Wildcats.
9. I also wish to hear just one Calipari interview where the interviewer is actually in control. Coach Cal is amazing in the way he takes one question and then interviews himself for the next 30 minutes.
10. Now that I am a St. Louis Cardinal fan again, I wish for a first baseman to replace Pujols.
11. I wish that the NBA players and owners would all get infected with a big dose of humility and realize how greedy they all appear to be.
**While I am at it Santa, I have a few wishes for my basketball team.
12. I wish referees would let me help them more in games. I am always offering to help but they don’t listen very well.
13. I wish for continued unselfishness out of my team.
14. I wish all my players would man up and commit to taking charges.
15. I wish all parents would relax at the games and not yell at each other’s children, the referees and the coaches. OK Santa I realize that is asking for a little too much but consider it please.
Well Santa, I know you have your hands full. Just consider these requests and do the best you can on your limited budget. See you later.
OT: Oh yeah, a camouflaged turkey gun under the tree would be very nice also.
OTT: By the way Santa, thanks for the early Christmas gift. I am talking about the UK win over Tennessee in football. After that, I really don’t expect much more.
Enthusiasm Makes the Difference
Mike Wright is the head coach of boys basketball and cross country at Trigg County High School. Emails concerning Coach’s Corner can be sent to email@example.com