Keith Todd, public information officer for Districts One and Two of the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, didn’t want to speculate on when the on-site repair work would begin, stating that the crews will be ready “when they’re ready.”
KyTC crews finished last week with guardrail work on that bridge, and finished work on the deck this week, said Todd. They have been doing preliminary work on the bridge so they don’t have to hold up traffic for as long after it is re-opened.
The bridge has been out of commission since the Jan. 26 accident. Hall Contracting was awarded the repair project after bidding $7 million earlier this year, and the state has received $9 million from the federal government for the project.
Governor Steve Beshear has said the project is due to be completed by Memorial Day weekend. There could be $50,000-per-day penalties for Hall Contracting – the same contractor that repaired the Sherman Minton Bridge in Louisville – if the bridge isn’t ready to be re-opened by that date.
For the rest of this story, see this week's issue of The Cadiz Record or subscribe to our e-Edition by calling 270-522-6605.