My family is blessed to be in our 13th year of living and running a tourism business in the place we choose as the best place for us – Trigg County.
I have found most citizens are friendly and intelligent and want the best for our community.
Restaurants in Cadiz last year had over $10 million in sales, the majority is from outside our county. If these visitors stopped to eat at the towns on either side of us on Interstate 24, they already pay this tax. A 3 percent tax on this would bring in over $300,000.
If the patrons at a Cadiz restaurant paid $1 today for coffee, after the tax is enacted the total is only $1.03.
Benefits of Restaurant Tax in communities near us:
1) Oak Grove – Built convention center/ park/ major events/ marketing
2) Grand Rivers – Park and trail/ Badgett Playhouse/multi-purpose building/ parking area/events
3) Kuttawa/Eddyville – boat ramps/fall barbecue festival/fishing tournaments
Some possible projects the tourism commission is talking about doing with the $300,000-plus to improve tourism and life for the citizens in Cadiz and Trigg County.
In addition to more funds for direct marketing, we can utilize a portion for some of the following:
1) Start a spring festival that becomes as positive as Ham Festival, plus help support Ham Festival
2) Build and expand playgrounds, parks and trails.
3) Partner sponsor the Cadiz Community Arts Center theatre addition project.
4) Participate in the Trigg County History Museum building project.
5) Work to develop facilities as attractions for both local and out of town guests (indoor facility for basketball/volleyball/archery/soccer) public tennis courts/skate –bike park/multi-court facility/disc-golf course
6) Business incubator grants for tourism-related businesses.
7) Fund the two Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources canoe/kayak access ramp and parking projects on Little River
8) Sponsor 5k, cruise-ins, family first, and 400-Mile Yard sale.
9) Develop a military appreciation festival.
If you feel any of the above is worth a 15-cent investment for every $5 of prepared food purchased, please ask your council person to support this.
Greg Batts, Prizer Point