Russell hearing canceled as parties wait for new prosecutor
by Franklin Clark, Reporter -- fclark@cadizrecord.com
Jun 05, 2013 | 122 122 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A hearing in the Claude Russell murder case that was scheduled for 9 a.m. on Friday, May 31, was canceled after a Thursday, May 23 press conference held by 56th Circuit Commonwealth’s Attorney G.L. Ovey, who is recusing himself from that case.

Trigg County Circuit Court Clerk Pam Perry confirmed last week that the hearing has been canceled, and that no alternate date has yet been scheduled.

Ovey has asked Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway to appoint a special prosecutor, but Perry said her office has not been notified of any appointment yet. Ovey said on May 23 that he made a recommendation but didn’t release the name of the person he’s recommending, only calling them a “seasoned prosecutor.”

Ovey said on May 23 that he is recusing himself from the case because he will probably have to testify as a material witness in a hearing related to allegations made in a motion to dismiss filed on May 9 by Russell’s defense attorney John Stewart.

For the rest of this story, see this week's issue of The Cadiz Record or subscribe to our e-Edition by calling 270-522-6605.
Weather
Click for Cadiz, Kentucky Forecast
Sponsored By:
Beaus Blog Logo
Read Beau's Daily Analysis